Now that fall is officially among us, the urges to purchase new clothing items are on every fashionistas brain. “If I only just had THIS sweater in THIS color my fall wardrobe would be complete!”
And while shopping for a few things here and there to add to your existing wardrobe is completely healthy, the underling problem many of us will face is buying in excess and not acquiring only those items that we actually need.
If you scroll through the feed of your favorite fashion blogger(s) you might begin to see repeating hashtags like #10x10challenge and #capsulewardrobe but what is the difference and why is everyone onboard to this fashion bus that I never knew existed. And wait- should I get onboard too?
The answer might actually surprise you; because this time I would say it’s better to follow that crowd on this one.
-Stay with me here-
Check out fashion pieces you need to slay the summer to fall season transition!
Let’s look at both of these wardrobe concepts and their purposes. Starting with 10×10 Challenge. This challenge begin around 2015 with the concept to help encourage creator (Style Bee) to get more creative with her clothes during a 30 Day Shopping Fast. The concept is essentially a micro capsule closet of 10 items that you work with for 10 days, trying new looks and styling your clothes in ways you might not otherwise try! Below is a formula for how beginners can adjust their wardrobe to start the challenge for themselves!
BEGINNER’S FORMULA FOR 10×10 CHALLENGE
- 2 Pairs of Shoes (1 heel + 1 flat)
- 4 Tops (Consider pieces that layer well like a fitted long-sleeve, a button-down and a cardigan)
- 1 Dress
- 2 Bottoms
- 1 Top Layer
A few other tips for choosing items:
- Check the forecast and pick practical items for the weather.
- Don’t give yourself too much time to choose. Try to make the call in under 30 minutes.
- Go for an easy, lean or neutral color palette. Think creams, browns, denim, white, black and grey.
- Reach for your favorites first and then add one or two pieces you’d like to wear more or aren’t sure about.
- Avoid Dry Clean Only items or pieces that are a pain to launder so if need be you can refresh them during the 10 days.
- Any accessories or jewelry you add to a look does not count as a part of your 10 items. For example:
SUMMARY: The current 10×10 Challenge officially began on Instagram on October 22, 2018 and will last for 10 days! If you are looking to bring creativity to your wardrobe by placing a number on the limit of items to work with, this challenge is best suited for you! There is a possibility to mix and match outfits that you may have never thought of because you had an abundance of options. This concept I think is better for those who enjoy a strict challenge that disciplines their creativity to work with pieces they already own. Search the #10x10challange for outfit inspiration and start posting today! Challenge ends on October 31!
The Capsule Wardrobe
Now, let’s look at the idea of creating a #capsulewardbrobe. Contrary to the 10x10challanege creating a capsule wardrobe involves gathering a greater number of clothing items that either already exist within your wardrobe or are sourced new (or thrifted). While keeping a minimalist ideology, capsule wardrobes essentially create a “mini-wardrobe” made up of really versatile pieces that you totally love to wear. Each season (spring, summer, fall, and winter), you clear your closet except for a set number of pieces that encompass your capsule wardrobe. The aggregate number between bloggers seem to fall somewhere around 25-40 items, but that number can vary by season and individual personalities.
HOW TO START YOUR OWN
1. Pair down your closet to 25-40 items. (try not to focus too much on hitting a number if you have more pieces that you love in your closet)
2. Wear only those 25-40 items for three months.
3. Don’t go shopping during the season until…
4. The last two weeks of the season, reevaluate your current capsule and shop for your next capsule season.
5. The amount you buy for the next capsule is up to you, but less is more!
SUMMARY: Capsule wardrobes allow for a greater range of pairings and opportunities to mix and match items you already own and love in your closet as well as the flexibility to purchase items once per season to add to your rotation. Similar to the 10x10challange, capsule wardrobes enforce the idea of creativity and challenges you to find your true style instead of following each fast fashion trend as it comes and goes. I have created a capsule wardrobe of my own for fall and am having the most fun in seeing what outfits I can come up with each day! So much so, I have encouraged my boyfriend to transform his wardrobe and try it out for himself!
Search the hashtag #capsulewardrobe on Instagram and Pinterest for outfit inspiration and start posting some of your favorite fall outfits!
Which challenge are you eager to try?